E166 – How to Handle a Customer Data Breach w/ Bill Coletti
Bill is a reputation management, crisis communications and professional development expert, keynote speaker, Wall Street Journal Risk & Compliance panelist, and best-selling author of Critical Moments: The New Mindset of Reputation Management.
He has more than 25 years of global experience managing
high-stakes crises, issues management, and media
relations challenges for both Fortune 500 companies
and winning global political campaigns.
During our interview we discuss:
– Bill shares his origin story of creating and defending crisis in the political arena including his transition to working for corporate clients.
– Why it is critical for businesses to manage their reputations both online and offline.
– We talk about the risk of a data breach and how it could negatively impact your business.
– Bill shares some strategies on how to effectively manage a data breach crisis.
– The debate about apologizing vs not apologizing to customers if/when a data breach happens.
– He explains why companies need to think about RISK in terms of 3 different types.
– We talk about the different between strategic, preventable, external risks.
– How insurance can help in a customer data breach situation.
– What would a press release look like in the event of a customer data breach.
– What is the chain of command and team that will be key players in the event of a crisis like data breach.
– Bill shares the single biggest problem with businesses and entrepreneurs when it comes to crisis management.
– The importance of asking, “If it happened to me, what would I do?”
– He shares his favorite growth tools.
– Bills recommends one of his favorite books.
Get a copy of Bill’s book, Critical Moments: The New Mindset of Reputation Management
If you enjoyed this episode, please RATE / REVIEW and SUBSCRIBE to ensure you never miss an episode.
Connect with Dennis Brown